Welcome to the River School Blog!
9 Healthy Snack Ideas that are a Snap
Snacks are very important for our children, but that knowledge alone does not prevent us from suffering from snack fatigue. We at River School understand your dilemma, and have put together a list of nine healthy and tasty snacks to recommend as your children head back to school.
- 1) Crunch a Bunch: Add a crunchy food such as cereal to berries that are high in antioxidants and sliced apples. Select your toddler’s favorite crunchy cereal and mix the two ingredients together for a burst of flavor, fun, and nutrition.
- 2) Baby Blue Bagels: Buy a bag of mini toddler sized whole-wheat bagels, and then make a cream cheese and blue berry spread. Add 1 ½ cup of berries to 1 cup of low-fat cream cheese.
- 3) Logs Lined with Ladybugs: Play it safe and add no nuts to this traditional favorite. Go the innovative route and decorate your celery with cranberries or blueberries marching on a bed of low fat cheese spread.
- 4) Demi-Dessert: Send your little one to school with a little snack! Mini blueberry, cranberry, banana, or carrot muffins make for a great snack. Simply use your regular muffin recipe or mix and add in the fruit of your toddler’s choice.
- 5) Frozen, the Treat, not the Movie: Freeze your child’s favorite applesauce or yogurt for a shushy-like treat.
- 6) Buns for Fun: Take a hot dog bun and spread sunflower or almond butter, about 1-½ tablespoons, on the sides. The place a sliced banana inside and voila.
- 7) Watermelon Pizza: Slice a watermelon like a pizza for a fresh and hydrating snack on a hot day.
- 8) Consider a Clementine: Toddlers are beginning to use their motor skills and there is no better way to help them master this skill and fill their tummies at the same time than peeling and eating a clementine.
- 9.Pack a Pita: A pita can hold many yummy and healthy fillings. Consider adding hummus with bits of carrot or crunchy celery bites.
Toddler programs should be filled with a sense of discovery and activity, so why not make the snacks the same? No more dreading snack selections or worrying about satisfying fussy kids. Jazz up your toddler’s school day snack with one of these scrumptious snacks.